Alexandra Stockwell, MD, is joined by her husband Dr. Rodd Stockwell, to unpack the art of how to problem solve in your marriage.
They stress the importance of clearly identifying the type of conversation you’re having, whether it’s venting, seeking emotional support, problem-solving, or something else. You need to know which kind of communication you need, and which kind of communication your spouse needs.
When there’s a problem, before diving into practical solutions, it’s essential to address any emotional baggage first. Visualize yourselves sitting side by side, collaborating on the problem at hand, without disrespect or opposition. When the emotional air is cleared, real solutions arise so don’t hesitate to take detours when unexpected emotional issues present.
Also in this episode:
- Communication Types: Understand that there are different types of communication, such as venting, making requests, problem-solving, vulnerable communication, and more.
- Setting the Stage: Before diving into problem-solving, ensure that both partners are on the same page about the type of conversation they are having.
- Emotional Alignment: Make sure both partners feel heard, seen, and emotionally aligned on the issue before moving on to practical problem-solving.
- Teamwork: Approach problem-solving as a team, sitting on the same side of the table, so to speak. Avoid making it about one person being right or wrong.
- Efficient Problem Solving: If emotions or conflicts arise during the process, address them first, and then return to the problem-solving discussion.
- Building Connection: Successful problem-solving enhances connection and intimacy in the relationship, leading to more efficient and harmonious interactions in daily life.
Subscribe To The Intimate Marriage Podcast:
Connect With Alexandra Stockwell, MD:
Download the first chapter of Dr Alexandra’s bestselling book, “Uncompromising Intimacy,” here: https://www.alexandrastockwell.com/book
Cultivate your intimacy skills (without compromise) in Aligned & Hot Marriage, Dr. Alexandra’s proven method for smart couples ready to love more fully. www.alignedhotmarriage.com
Join my email list to stay connected–it’s where I share my latest insights and offer opportunities for live Q & A. https://www.alexandrastockwell.com/subscribe
About Alexandra Stockwell, MD
Known as “The Intimacy Doctor,” Alexandra Stockwell, MD is a Relationship and Intimacy Coach and an Intimate Marriage Expert who specializes in coaching ambitious, successful couples to build beautiful, long-lasting, passionate relationships. She is the bestselling author of “Uncompromising Intimacy,” host of The Intimate Marriage Podcast and creator of the Aligned & Hot Marriage program.
For over two decades, she’s been guiding men and women to bring pleasure and purpose into all aspects of life— from the daily grind of running a household to creating ecstatic experiences in the bedroom—all while maintaining extraordinary professional success!
This Podcast Is Produced, Engineered & Edited By: Simplified Impact